The World Festival of Animated Film (WFAF) is held every year in Varna along with an "echo" event with films from Varna in Sofia. The Festival is organized by the World Festival of Animated Film Association, The Festival and Congress Center Varna and The National Palace of Culture in Sofia with the support of the Bulgarian Ministry of Culture, Bulgarian National Film Center and the Municipality of Varna.
The official languages of the Festival are Bulgarian and English.
Any frame by frame or computer-assisted animated film, meeting the following requirements, will be considered eligible for the Festival:
- The film must have been completed after January 1st 2015 and must have not participated in competition programme in previous edition of the Festival.
- The screening copy of the selected films must be in one of the following formats: DVD, Blue-ray, H264.MOV. A DCP copy is accepted as long as the film is without dialog.
- Each entry must be submitted on a separate digital or analog data carrier.
- The running time of the film must be up to 30 min for the short film competition, and around/over 60 min for feature film competition.
- One episode per series (up to 30 min) is allowed for the TV series competition.
- Films using copyrighted scripts, images and music without the consent of the copyrights owner, will not be allowed at the Festival.
The films will compete in the following categories:
- Short films
- Feature films
- Children`s films
- TV series
- Students films
- The deadline for submitting Entry Forms and preview DVDs is June 15th 2017. No entry forms and preview files or DVDs will be accepted after this date.
- There is no entry fee.
- You can participate by completing the online Entry Form at the Festival website www.varnafest.org no later than June 15th 2017.
- Entrants will receive e-mail confirmation of successful entry form submission. If you do not receive such e-mail please contact us at email@example.com
- The copies for the official selection are to be either uploaded at the FTP server provided by WFAF or sent via regular mail at the following address: P.O. Box 1453, Sofia 1000, Bulgaria
Important!: The team of WFAF highly recommends that you send your films online using our official FTP server. This way both parties save time, money and your information will be safer.
- The preview copy of the film can be uploaded directly at the Festival FTP server (DVD, Blue-ray, H264.MOV format are allowed) or sent by regular mail on DVD disk (the disc must be labeled with the title, the running time of the film, the name of the author and the country of origin).
- Each preview DVD must contain only one film.
- All DVDs must must arrive at the Festival Office no later than June 15th 2017.
Important! On the mail package must be written: For cultural purposes only, no commercial value.
- The Festival takes no responsibility in case of retention of the package by the Bulgarian Customs.
- The Festival takes no responsibility if the copy is damaged during delivery.
- All delivery costs of the preview DVDs and other materials must be paid by the sender.
- Preview DVDs and all other entry materials will remain for the Festival archive and will not be returned.
- Only correctly completed Entry Forms will be accepted.
- Only one Entry Form must be submitted for each film.
Required Information for the online Entry Form
- Short biography and filmography of the director (up to 1000 characters).
- Director’s photo (minimum 1600/1200 pixels, JPEG, obligatory).
- Three still images from the film (1920/1080 pixels, JPEG, obligatory).
- Annotation of the film (500 characters maximum).
- A preview file or DVD of the film.
- In case of voice-over screen commentary and/or dialogue in a language different from the official languages of the Festival, the films must be submitted with embedded English subtitles and an English dialogue list or English subtitles list must be provided.
- Promotional materials (posters, flyers, etc.) for better presentation of the film (optional). Providing a high resolution poster is obligatory for feature films (minimum A4 size with 300 dpi)!
- The Festival takes no responsibility for inaccuracies in the submitted materials.
- The Organization Committee of the Festival chooses the International Selection Committee members (3 people, 2 of them with nationality other than Bulgarian). At least 2/3 of the members must be animation professionals.
- The members of the International Selection Committee will be announced on the Festival website.
- Films produced, promoted or distributed by a member of the Selection Committee cannot be submitted for selection.
- The International Selection Committee will select films from each category depending on their conceptual, aesthetic and technical qualities.
- The International Selection Committee will select films for the competition programmе.
- The decisions of the International Selection Committee will be final and cannot be appealed.
- The results of the selection will be announced on the Festival website. The directors of the selected works will be notified in a timely manner.
- The decision of the selection committee will be announced by the end of June.
- The screening copies of the films selected for the official competition program must be uploaded at the Festival FTP server (preferably) or received in the Festival P.O. Box no later than July 25th 2017.
Important!: The team of WFAF highly recommends that you send your films online using our official FTP address. This way both parties save time, money and your information will be safer.
- If you choose to send your screening copy via regular mail it must be sent in a reliable package and labelled: For cultural purposes only, no commercial value.
- The Organization Committee of the Festival will choose the International Jury members (5 people, 4 of them with nationality other than Bulgarian). The members of the Jury will be announced on the Festival website.
- Films either created, produced or distributed by a Jury member cannot enter the competition.
- The decisions of the International Jury members will be final and unquestionable.
Accommodation and Accreditation
- The Festival will cover hotel and food expenses for the contestants in the official competition program throughout the Festival.
- The Festival will not cover travel expenses.
- Every person willing to attend the Festival as a guest can apply for an accreditation at firstname.lastname@example.org. All directors with films in the competition programme and official guests of the Festival receive free accreditation.
- If a film is selected, the director or producer of the work must provide a copy of the film in the format, specified in the Entry Form.
- The Organization Committee guarantees the safety of the copies from the moment they arrive at the Festival Office until their return to the address specified in the Entry Form. The Festival will pay for the return delivery costs, excluding any additional charges for tax and customs clearance in the country of return.
- The Organization Committee will begin returning the copies no sooner than two weeks after the end of the Festival.
- A selected film cannot be withdrawn from the competition. The Festival has the right to change the category of the selected film, change the Festival program without previous notice, and remove delayed or poor quality films from the competition.
- The International Jury has the right to withhold an award in any category if (in the Jury’s opinion) none of the films within the category meets the Jury’s quality criteria.
- Unless otherwise specified in the Entry Form, the entrant grants the Organization Committee the right to present the work (in full or as an extract) and its promotional materials, free of charge, over the next 2 years, on any media or public screening, for non-commercial publicity purposes of the World Festival of Animated Film.
- Тhe entrant grants the Organization Committee the right to present the work and its promotional materials, free of charge, at the Festival's "echo" event in Sofia.
- The Festival invites the producers of awarded films and films that took part in the competition to donate a copy of these films to the Festival Archive.
- The entrant is responsible for all copyrights, clearances and permissions. WFAF takes no responsibility for violations of the copyright law.
- All issues not addressed here are subject to the decision of the WFAF Organization Committee.
- With the submission of the Entry Form, the entrant agrees with these Regulations.