The World Festival of Animated Film (WFAF) is held every year in Varna along with an "echo" event with films from Varna in Sofia. The Festival is organized by the World Festival of Animated Film Association, The Festival and Congress Center Varna and The National Palace of Culture in Sofia with the support of the Bulgarian Ministry of Culture, Bulgarian National Film Center and the Municipality of Varna.
The official languages of WFAF are Bulgarian and English.
Any frame by frame or computer-assisted animated film, meeting the following requirements, will be considered eligible for the Festival:
- The film has to be completed after January 1st 2016 and must have not participated in any competition programme of previous editions of WFAF.
- The screening copy of the selected films must be in one of the following video formats: H264, MOV, DCP.
- Considering the international character of the festival all films in Bulgarian must come with English subtitiles.
- The running time of the film must be up to 20 min for the short film competition, and around/over 60 min for the feature film competition.
- One episode per series (up to 20 min) is allowed for the TV series competition.
- Films using copyrighted scripts, images and music without the consent of the copyrights owner, will not be allowed at the Festival.
The films will compete in the following categories:
- Short films
- Feature films
- Children`s films
- TV series
- Students films
- The deadline for submitting Entry Forms and preview is June 15th 2018. No entry forms and preview files will be accepted after this date.
- There is no entry fee.
- You can participate by completing the online entry-form at the official WFAF website no later than June 15th 2018.
- Upon completion and submission of the entry form, each participant will receive a confirmation email on their own given email address.
If you do not receive such an e-mail, please contact one of our assistants:
- The copies for the official selection are to be uploaded only online either at the FTP server provided by the WFAF organizers, or sent via a download link.
- The preview copy of the film can be in these formats only: MOV, H264, MP4
- The file name should be the same with the title of your film.
- Only correctly filled out entry forms will be accepted.
- Only one entry form must be submitted for each film.
Required Information for the online Entry Form
- Short autobiography and filmography of the director (500 characters max.).
- Director’s photo (minimum 1600/1200 pixels, JPEG, obligatory).
- Three still images from the film (1920/1080 pixels, JPEG, obligatory).
- Annotation of the film (500 characters max.).
- A digital copy of the film for the selection.
- In case of voice-over screen commentary and/or dialogue in a language different from the official languages of the Festival, the films must be submitted with embedded English subtitles and an English dialogue list, or English subtitles list must be provided.
- Promotional materials (posters, flyers, etc.) for better presentation of the film (optional). Providing a high resolution poster is obligatory for feature films (minimum A4 size with 300 dpi).
- WFAF takes no responsibility for inaccuracies in the submitted materials.
- The Organization Committee of the Festival chooses the International Selection Committee, which will consist of 3 people.
- At least 2/3 of the members must be professionals, who are in touch with Animation Art.
- The members of the International Selection Committee will be announced on the official WFAF website.
- Films produced, promoted or distributed by a member of the Selection Committee cannot be submitted for selection.
- The International Selection Committee will select films from each category depending on their conceptual, aesthetic and technical qualities.
- The International Selection Committee will select films for the competition programmе.
- The decisions of the International Selection Committee will be final and cannot be appealed.
- The results of the selection will be announced on the Festival website. The directors of the selected works will be notified in a timely manner.
- The decision of the selection committee will be announced by the end of June.
- The screening copies of the films selected for the official competition program must be uploaded at the Festival FTP server, or received in through a download link no later than July 25th 2018.
- The Organization Committee of the Festival will choose the International Jury members.
- The members of the Jury will be announced on the official WFAF website.
- The decisions of the International Jury members will be final and are not to be taken into question.
- The International Jury defines the programme for the screnning of the winner‘s films on the last evening of the Festival, which is determined by the remaining screening time and the Organization comittee‘s decision.
Accommodation and Accreditation
- WFAF’s organizers will cover hotel and food expenses for the contestants in the official competition program for 2 days only throughout the duration of the Festival.
- In no case will WFAF cover travel expenses.
- Every person willing to attend the Festival as a guest can apply for an accreditation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All directors with films in the competition programme and official guests of the Festival receive free accreditation.
- If a film is selected, the director or producer of the work must provide a copy of the film in the format, specified in the entry form.
- A selected film cannot be withdrawn from the competition. The Festival has the right to change the category of the selected film, change the Festival program without previous notice, and remove delayed or poor quality films from the competition.
- The International Jury has the right to withhold an award in any category if none of the films within the category meets their quality criteria.
- Unless otherwise specified in the entry form, the entrant grants the Organization Committee the right to present the work (in full or as an extract) and its promotional materials, free of charge, over the next 2 years, on any media or public screening, for non-commercial publicity purposes of the World Festival of Animated Film.
- All films in the competion programme and panorama are free of charge and will be screened throughout the course of the Festival.
- Тhe entrant grants the Organization Committee the right to present the work and its promotional materials, free of charge, at the Festival's "echo" event in Sofia.
- The Festival invites the producers of awarded films and films that took part in the competition to donate a copy of these films to the Festival Archive.
- The entrant is responsible for all copyrights, clearances and permissions. WFAF takes no responsibility for violations of the copyright law.
- All issues not addressed here are subject to the decision of the WFAF Organization Committee.
- With the submission of the entry form, the entrant agrees with these Regulations.